Type 1 where the insulin producing cells in the body have been destroyed and the body is unable to produce any insulin.
Type 2 where the insulin producing cells are unable to produce enough insulin to handle the glucose in the body.
The first type accounts for approximately 10% of all cases of diabetes in the world. The second is considered a more lifestyle form of the illness. And unfortunately the diagnosis that I received. And I can't complain, to date my diet has been filled with sugary drinks, rich foods and the most delicious cakes in the world. So was I surprised that my blood glucose levels were high and that the indicators were that they had been high for a fair while? Of course not. In some ways I was glad of the diagnosis.
So first steps, at least my Doctor doesn't want to put me on medicines right away. He wants to see if I can get my blood glucose levels down to a normal level. By changes to diet and activity levels this is something that should be achievable. The medicinal route would mean a lifetime on the drugs, managing the illness with both diet, drugs and insulin. So having this option is a good thing, because it gives me a chance.
Diabetes UK recommend the following steps to reduce the risk of Type 2 Diabetes.
- Eat regular meals to keep your blood glucose levels stable.
- Include all the essential food groups every day enjoying at least five portions of colourful fruit and vegetables, starchy carbohydrates (such as grainy bread, wholegrain cereal or oats, pasta, sweet potato or basmati rice), dairy (such as milk, yoghurt, cheese), and a small amount of protein (such as lean meat, chicken, fish, lentils and pulses).
- Choose low-GI snacks such as fruit, yoghurt, reduced fat cheese and wholegrain crackers or unsalted nuts.
- Limit unhealthy snacks high in salt, sugar or saturated fat – this is easier if you avoid processed foods and stick to fresh produce where you can.
- Watch your portions. Eating smaller amounts at main meals and snacks will help with weight loss and improve blood glucose levels.
- Stick to your recommended daily alcohol limit: this is 2–3 units for women and 3–4 units for men.
- Complement your healthy diet with at least 30 minutes of exercise, five times a week – and try not to reward yourself with food afterwards.
- Set yourself goals – mark your milestones and celebrate your successes.
- Variety is the spice of life – experiment with different foods and keep your exercise interesting.
- Start today.
Reasonable advice? Nothing rocket science amongst it if you think about it. But very easy advice to forget about when you are enjoying life.
So where does this leave me? Well I have always wanted to create something in relation to food. I have a passion for it, the same passion that has created my illness. But perhaps it is time to direct that passion in this new direction. I want to eat well, I want to have tasty foods, but I also know that I have to be focused on keeping my blood sugar levels down while eating a balanced diet. I want food to be fun, while still being healthy.
It annoys me when I walk around the supermarket and I see people taking the easy options, the frozen meals, the pre-made items. And then complaining that either they don't have the time, or the money to be able to cook things from scratch. When, with a little bit of planning and the right recipe, almost anything they buy that is ready made, can be cooked for the same or less. And a lot healthier. And most importantly you know exactly what went into what you have made.
So now we have a starting point. Time to share more as the days and weeks progress.
No comments:
Post a Comment